The pain of arthritis can affect every part of a patient’s life. From waking up in the morning with stiff joints, to loss of movement resulting in decreased quality of life because of the lessened amount of activities the patient can participate in; arthritic pain can be severe and debilitating. Finding an adequate treatment plan can seem overwhelming, especially for those patients who do not want to become dependent on pain relievers. Many patients find relief through the use of topical creams and ointments. In fact, there are hundreds of products available for use in the treatment of arthritis. Choosing the best arthritis pain cream may take some trial and error, but for those patients who find their ideal cream, a lifetime of pain relief and comfort is readily available.
- 1. Zostrix Arthritis Cream: The active ingredient in this arthritis cream is capsaicin. It is said to work by reducing the levels of certain chemicals that transmit pain impulses.
- 2. Bengay Arthritis Cream: Perhaps the best known of all the arthritis creams, Bengay uses menthol and methyl salicylate to provide temporary relief of muscle and joint pain.
- 3. Aspercreme: With trolamine salicylate as its active ingredient, Aspercreme provides relief from pain associated with muscle sprains, strains, backaches and arthritis.
- 4. Icy Hot: Another cream with menthol and methyl salicylate, Icy Hot first ices the area to provide pain relief, and then warms the area to help relax the pain away.
- 5. Sportscreme: One of the few odorless products on the market, Sportscreme has salicylate as its active ingredient. It is used to relieve pain from muscle strain, sore muscles and stiffness.
- 6. Tiger Balm: This herbal remedy uses clove oil, cajuput oil, menthol and camphor to relieve joint pain and muscle aches.
- 7. Mineral Ice: This greaseless cream is cool and penetrates into muscle tissue to provide quick relief from painful muscles and joints.
These are only a few of the available pain-relieving creams that can be used for arthritis. There are plenty of other products available as well. Patients should consider their needs as well as their preferences. Some creams are designed to provide temporary immediate relief while others work more slowly. Some have a heavy odor while others are oily or greasy. Deciding the best arthritis pain cream is a personal choice.
As a word of caution, it is important to note that arthritis creams must be used as directed. Failure to do so may lead to an overdose of the underlying active ingredient. Always read directions and recommendations fully and use medications including creams and ointments as directed.