Lower Left Back Pain – Left Side Pain

Back pain on the lower left side is common, and has several causes. The two types of pain people describe suffering in their lower back are acute back pain and chronic back pain. Acute back pain is described as a sharp burning pain, while chronic back pain is a dull and aching pain. There are two general causes for pain in the lower left side of the back: neuropathic pain is caused by nerve tissue damage, and nociceptive pain is pain that occurs outside the nervous system. A pinched nerve is an example of neuropathic pain, and a condition such as arthritis is nociceptive pain.

Common causes of back pain in the lower left side can include muscle imbalances, muscle strain, or an injury to back muscles, ligaments or joints. Compression of one of the lumbar nerves, the sacral nerve or the sciatic nerve may also be cause of lower left back pain. This may be indication of a series of symptoms called sciatica. If pain in the lower left side of the back is particularly severe, it may be an indication of a herniated or ruptured disc.

If you are not familiar with muscle imbalances, or muscle balance therapy, you definitely want to start here:

Muscle Imbalances – How they cause pain and how to treat them

Article Con’t…

Alongside the common causes listed above, pain on the lower left side of the back can as well be a tightening of the sacroiliac joint, spinal joints and buttocks. The protection around the sacroiliac joint is less effective than other back joints, as the sacroiliac contains no disc. When a tightening of the sacroiliac joint occurs, a person may experience pain in the buttocks as well because as the sacroiliac joint tightens, so do the surrounding muscles and ligaments.

Pain on the left side of the lower back can be caused by other conditions as well. This pain can be symptomatic of conditions such as a urinary tract infection, irritable bowel syndrome, osteoporosis, spondylolysis, gall bladder stones, kidney stones or a kidney infection. If the person experiencing the pain is female, it may be a symptom of a gynecological disorder. It should be noted that being obese might cause pain in the left side of the lower back as well.

If a person suffers from lower left back pain for more than a day, it is recommended that they contact their primary care physician. It is incredibly important that the cause of back pain is diagnosed before treatment can begin. The doctor may utilize X-rays, MRIs, CT Scans, Mylelograms or Bone Scans in order to diagnose the cause of back pain in the lower left side. Treating back pain can involve taking pain relievers, starting an exercise program that focuses on the lower back, or attending physical therapy. If going to a doctor is not an option for you right now, use the resources below to identify home treatment options.

Recommended Resources:

FREE BOOK: The 7 Day Back Pain Cure; How Thousands Got Relief without Drugs or Surgery

Prevention:

There are several courses of action a person can take in order to prevent back pain on the lower left side:

• While walking and sitting, keep a relatively upright posture
  • When lifting objects (heavy or light), always lift with the legs-never bend from the waist
  • Exercise; focus on working out the muscles in the core (abdomen and back)
  • Daily Stretching

If experiencing back pain, consult a doctor before beginning treatment.

« Back Pain Articles

This entry was posted in Low Back Pain. Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Sylmah
    Posted August 29, 2012 at 7:07 am | Permalink

When passing urine it takes much longer to empty the bladder. My lower left back pain is more severe first thing in the morning. I suffer from Arthritis as well but this is much better now.

2. jalal krisht
    Posted October 8, 2012 at 11:32 am | Permalink

please i need help . …. i started playing badminton a week ago . the first 2 or 3 days were okay but then i started having lower back pain . every time i play and go home after my shower i start feeling the pain , if i sit or lie down it pains me when i try to get up , i cant carry anything . please could anyone help me with this problem . by the way im left handed so i use the racket in the left hand

Posted October 12, 2012 at 2:39 pm | Permalink

Hi jalal,

A good starting point is for you to get a copy of The Healthy Back Institute’s free back pain book. Education and understanding about your pain and learning about your possible treatment options is key. To learn more please visit the link below.

“Free 7 Day Back Pain Cure Book”

In addition for pain and inflamed joints do try our Rub On Relief http://www.losethebackpain.com/rubonrelief.html

and Heal and Soothe https://www.losethebackpain.com/tryhealnsoothe.html

4. Ali
    Posted December 8, 2012 at 12:56 am | Permalink

Hi,

Lately, I have been feeling a lingering and dull pain in my left leg, specifically around the knee area but a numbness through the leg. I have had sharper pains in my leg in the past, but today I suddenly felt a sharp pain on my lower left back just above my left buttocks. The pain is excrutiating! I have managed to shift my body so that it doesn’t hurt much, but any sudden move I know the pain will shoot right back.

What is it and how can i fix this?

Thanks.

Posted December 8, 2012 at 1:07 pm | Permalink

Hi Ali,

Thank you for your enquiry.A very good starting point for you is to get our free back pain book which will help you to understand more about the back and to discuss various treatment options. You can learn more about it on the link below.

“7 Day Back Pain Cure”

Please let us know if there is anything else we can help you with after you have read the book.

6. YFP
    Posted December 31, 2012 at 1:21 pm | Permalink

Nice article. I think back pain management particularly during pregnancy is a must. One should take good care of herself.

7. Steph
    Posted January 7, 2013 at 4:07 am | Permalink

Hi,

For the past few days I have had really sharp pain in one confined spot on my lower left back that occasionally radiates down my left side (down my leg and up to my shoulder). Other than those times it’s been limited to one spot. I haven’t had any numbness or tingling, just really bad, sharp pain no matter my position. I’ve looked things up online, but nothing sounds like what I’ve been feeling. I had something like this happen last year, but it was much more severe. Last year it lasted for about two and a half weeks and it’s been less than a week this time.

Any idea what this might be?
    Thanks,
    Steph

• Steve
      Posted January 9, 2013 at 2:18 pm | Permalink

Steph, based on reading your post, there is a good bet that Trigger Points are playing a roll in what you feel, as TPs can come and go, and then when they come back be more painful, they can give you many different sensations, but the fact that you have such pain in one area, that says a lot and I would suggest that you do some research on Trigger Point, we have may article and videos on our site

Posted January 9, 2013 at 8:42 am | Permalink

Hi Steph,

Thank you for your question. Our free back pain book will help you to understand more about the back and to discuss various treatment options. This may be a useful start for you. Please read more about it on the link below.

“7 Day Back Pain Cure”

9. Barry
    Posted February 1, 2013 at 7:29 am | Permalink

I’ve been suffering lower back pain on the left side for approximately 1 year now. I only experience it at night after lying on my back after a few hours. It then goes away a couple of hours after I get up in the morning. I have no pain all day or evening. I have had a ultra sound and urine annalysis with no results. What could the cause be?

Posted February 1, 2013 at 3:33 pm | Permalink

Hi Barry,

Thank you for explaining your issues. We would like to help and feel that you may find it useful to read our free back pain book which will help you to understand more about the back and to discuss various treatment options. This may be a useful approach for you to start with. Please read more about it and get your free copy via the link below.

“7 Day Back Pain Cure”

Admin
    (The Healthy Back Institute)

11. phillip lowe
    Posted February 6, 2013 at 7:49 pm | Permalink

Hi I have been having an ache and tightness all down the left side of my back for 2years now.It seems to make my thighs ache and sometimes feel weak and shakey . I recently brought a back support to help me during the day witch is great as I do a physical job but cannot carry on like this.doctors not interested when been. Please any advice

Posted February 21, 2013 at 8:40 pm | Permalink

Hi Phillip,

Thank you for your post and query.

We would like to help and our free back pain book will be a good starting point to help you to understand more about the back and the treatment options that you can consider. Please read more about by following the link below.

“7 Day Back Pain Cure”

Admin
    (The Healthy Back Institute)

13. imelda mendoza
    Posted February 24, 2013 at 7:54 pm | Permalink

hello, my name is imelda please i would like to ask some help to my pain , i had a pain at my left lower back since 4mos.from now, my routine work still going on but my pain is still especially when i sit down longer and when i sleep, i get rid of it , please help me to cure this pain to what to do , i had no time enough always to go to the physician to do check up . hope can help me .

Yours trully,
    imelda

Posted March 6, 2013 at 3:54 pm | Permalink

Hi Imelda,

Thank you for your query and explaining your pain.

We would like to help you. A good start for you is to please take a look at our free back pain book which will help you to understand more about the back and the treatment options for you to consider. Please read more about by following the link below.

“7 Day Back Pain Cure”

It is wise to have a check up with your doctor as well.

Admin
    (The Healthy Back Institute)

15. Ashleigh
    Posted May 1, 2013 at 5:40 am | Permalink

Hello,

Today at work I noticed my lower back was very tight and sore. As the day went on, it got worse. At home I have a shooting pain from my lower left back through my buttocks down my leg. I am suddenly very stiff, and in pain. I am a receptionist and I have not done any strenuous activity recently. Any ideas?

Posted May 1, 2013 at 9:57 am | Permalink

Hi Ashleigh,

Do get yourself a copy of our free back pain book which will help you to understand the possible causes of pain, various treatment options, pain relief options and steps for you to consider. Please read more about by following the link below.

“7 Day Back Pain Cure”

Admin
    (The Healthy Back Institute)

17. Ellen
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 6:41 am | Permalink

I suffer from pain in my back only at night. The pain is more to the left side spreading over to the front, just below my ribs. What I find strange, is that even though the are is tender to touch during the day, I suffer from severe pain mostly at night when lying down. Any ideas what it could be? I am not losing wieht and I do have a spactic colon, but it is more or less under control.

Posted May 9, 2013 at 4:02 pm | Permalink

Hi Ellen,

To help you understand more about the back and possible causes of pain get yourself a copy of our free back pain book. It also details treatment options and pain relief for you to consider.

“7 Day Back Pain Cure”

Also consider getting a check up by your physician.

Admin
    (The Healthy Back Institute)

19. Jane
    Posted August 3, 2013 at 11:58 pm | Permalink

I have trouble with my sacrum and sacroiliac joint coming out of place. It is excrutiating and the pain totally takes over my body from the pain at the source, to my mood and even my thoughts. I haven’t found anything yet that prevents it happening. I only know that Osteopath appointments and cranial sacral therapy are what fixes it again.

Posted August 5, 2013 at 1:24 pm | Permalink

Hi Jane,

You may like to get a copy of our free back pain book The 7 Day Back Pain Cure. It will help you understand more about the back, treatment options and pain relief for you to consider. We hope you find it helpful.

“7 Day Back Pain Cure”

Admin
    (The Healthy Back Institute)