Neck pain is a fairly common problem that affects a huge number of people at some point in their lives. However, just because it’s wide reaching doesn’t mean there’s nothing you can do about it. Here are a few methods of treatment that may help relieve your neck pain.
- First of all, start your day right by keeping your spine aligned at night. Avoid piling pillows under your head which creates unnatural positioning. In fact, you may want to invest in a cervical pillow that provides proper support for your head and neck. Additionally, put a pillow under your knees to help keep pressure off your low back. Even better, sleep on your side in the fetal position to get the closest semblance of the natural “S” curve of your spine.
- When you get up in the morning, do some neck stretches. Try rotating your head from shoulder to shoulder with your chin down. Or, do a complete circle slowly. For maximum pain relief, try doing these motions in the shower to combine the relaxation of heat with the tension release that stretching provides. Lots of people carry tension in their necks and keeping this area loose can prevent it from building to the point of pain.
- Throughout the day, focus on your posture. Although bad posture is often thought of to lead to back pain, it can also cause severe neck pain. Holding your head too far over your spine is unnatural, but easy to do when you spend long periods sitting. A hunched over position is conducive with sitting at a computer for extended periods and can easily cause neck pain. Just being aware of bad posture can often squelch the issue. However, if you want help, try a lumbar or orthopedic support cushion. This will help lessen the pressure on your lower back, and force you to sit with good posture, relieving the pain in your neck. The Healthy Back Institute offers a huge variety of back cushions to help you sit up straight and relieve your neck pain. Visit www.losethebackpain.com today to see the selection back support cushions they offer.
- As the day progresses, try to keep your stress level down. Aggressive drivers on your commute, impending deadlines, people not doing their jobs, and bosses yelling at you can often make that difficult. But, a few deep breaths and a calm attitude can often go a long way when it comes to relieving neck pain.
- When you get home, try using a heating pad to relax and soothe tense muscles. For maximum pain relief, try an infrared heating pad. The state of the art technology allows heat to travel on infrared rays, which penetrate deep into irritated muscles to provide users with long lasting pain relief. Check out The Healthy Back Institute’s Web site to view their selection of infrared heating pads.
- The Healthy Back Institute focuses on relieving all kinds of back and neck pain. Visit www.losethebackpain.com today to see additional tips and information on neck pain treatments.