… 8 Features to Look For, 6 to Avoid
When you were a child, did your mother ever fill up a hot water bottle, wrap it in a towel, and place it on your belly if you had a stomachache, or under your ankle if you’d taken a tumble? As an adult you may have continued to use the soothing warmth from a hot water bottle or a heating pad to take away back pain and muscle aches of all kinds …
Heat’s impact on pain is not imaginary. Studies show that heat receptors located at injury sites in your body can actually block chemical messengers that allow your body to detect pain. Researchers have, in fact, stated that heat “deactivates pain at the molecular level in much the same way as pharmaceutical painkillers work.”[i]
But if you’re a fan of your good-old heating pad or hot water bottle, you have to admit that it has a number of shortcomings, the most glaring one being that it only stays hot for a few minutes. Hot water bottles inevitably turn cold, and even if you keep your typical heating pad on for 30 minutes or more, the minute you turn it off, your skin turns cold and the pain slowly (or not so slowly) returns. This is because the heating is only skin deep, so while it certainly feels nice while it lasts, the real therapeutic effects are fleeting.
So while heat is truly one of the best pain-relief options out there, only certain types of heat will give you the significant, lasting relief you’re after.
You Know How Good it Feels When You Lie in the Sun?
This is because of a specific wavelength of light known as far-infrared rays (FIR). Unlike ultraviolet rays that are associated with sunburn and skin cancer, FIR is safe and will not burn your skin. What it will do is penetrate deep into your body, and while you cannot see FIR with your naked eye, you can feel it as a source of heat.
Many living creatures appreciate the heating effects of far-infrared rays. If you have pets, you know your dog or cat will seek out virtually any sliver of sunlight to lounge in … simply because it feels so intrinsically good.
But there’s more to it than that. Along with acting on your tissues thermally, infrared light may have photo-chemical effects, which means photons (light waves) interact directly with individual molecules to induce chemical changes.[ii] One of its primary uses is for treatment of muscle aches and pains, because the heat is capable of penetrating down two to three inches (compared to just 2-3 mm for regular heating pads).
Why Deep Heat is What Gives You Relief
Far-infrared rays lead to vibration effects at the molecular level, which improves transportation of oxygen and nutrients, ultimately helping to support regeneration and healing.[iii] This is different than the type of heat given off by ordinary heating pads, which only penetrate your skin, not the deep layers of tissues underneath, where pain resides.
The thermal effect of deep heat on your tissues causes blood vessels in capillaries to dilate, which improves blood circulation and promotes pain-relief healing and wellness.
What to Look for in a Back Pain Heating Pad
If you’re looking for lasting relief, what should you look for in a back pain heating pad — and what should you avoid?
6 Features to Avoid…
- Cheap, low-quality: When you buy a low-quality heating pad, you get what you pay for; they only work only half of the time, have multiple “hot spots” that burn your skin and, worst of all, only warm the very surface of your skin. As soon as you turn the heating pad off, your pain returns. Many low-quality pads are also a very serious FIRE risk due to manufacturing errors that cause shorting within the wires.
- Conventional heat: Again, the conventional heat given off by most heating pads will only warm the surface of your skin, offering only minimal, short-lived relief.
- No heat settings: If your heating pad is not adjustable, the heat can get so hot it scalds your skin, or be too cool to provide any benefits.
- EMFs: Electric heating pads give off electromagnetic fields (EMFs), which may interfere with body functions and, research suggests, may be linked to cancer and a weakened immune system.
- Stiff, Rigid Construction: Many cheap heating pads are made of stiff material that makes it nearly impossible to mold it around the areas where you need relief most.
- Manual Shut-off: Heating pads are a surprisingly common source of house fires, often because people fall asleep while they’re on. This is particularly dangerous if your heating pad must be shut off manually.
- Far-Infrared Rays (FIR) for deep heat: FIR penetrates your skin as deep as 3 inches, compared to just 2-3mm of other pads. This is why FIR heat is so completely different from conventional heat. And why FIR’s energy is able to reach deep into your body, zero in on your pain, and speed natural healing.
- Natural Jade stones for maximum heat delivery: You need to pay attention to the warming device that delivers the FIR energy to your body. One of the best materials for this purpose are Jade stones, as when the jade is heated, it transports the far-infrared waves deep into your body to warm, soothe, cleanse and relieve your pain. The Chinese culture has revered Jade for centuries as a stone representing health, wealth and longevity.In eastern medicine Jade is believed to improve the lungs, heart, thymus, immunity, kidneys and blood detoxification. It strengthens the body’s filtration and cleansing systems and helps remove toxins.
- No EMFs: Unlike ordinary heating pads, the FIR heating pad from LosetheBackPain.com does not radiate any harmful EMFs.
- Adjustable heat settings: Automatic comfort control gives you adjustable heat settings for the exact comfort level you need, and will never overheat.
- Flexible, robust construction: The best far infrared heating pads are made from high-quality materials and built to last. The pad should be flexible, able to mold to every contour of your body so you can treat just about any area–ankle, leg, shoulder, arm, waist, knee, back, and more.
- Quick heating. Feel the warmth in just a few short minutes …
- Auto shut-off: This feature makes sure the pad turns off automatically, so there’s no worry about using it too long, falling asleep while in use, etc.
- Guaranteed quality. Only the best far infrared heating pads will stand behind their quality with a full one-year warranty on materials and workmanship.
LosetheBackPain.com’s Far-Infrared Back Pain Heating Pad does all of the above and more… and it’s available in 3 different models tailored to your specific pain, including the ULTRA model, the ISO model, and the Sleeper model.
But don’t take our word for it… Try it out for yourself today (use it for 30 days risk-free — if you’re not thrilled with it, you get your money back) and experience the soothing, healing relief of deep-penetrating far-infrared heat.
This Hairdresser Was in Excruciating Pain … Until This “Crazy” Heating Pad Changed Everything
Written By: Updated: February 27,2012